Thursday, May 26, 2016

Berry Banana Baked Oats

    I attempted lasagna last week! It came out pretty good. I used fresh basil to make my own sauce and everything! We had it for dinner on Friday night and I decided I'd throw my oatmeal bake in the oven while the lasagna was cooking! I've been trying to stick to counting my calories for the last two weeks. It's really hard when I love food! But besides my protein shakes in the morning, I've been trying to eat a little something too. This may not be the healthiest oatmeal recipe, but we'll say it's borderline healthy. It definitely tastes great and I decided to stick with my lasagna theme for the night and prepare it in layers! Oatmeal Lasagna anyone?


Berry Banana Baked Oats

Ingredients:
- 3 cups of old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 and 1/2 cups of milk
- 3 tablespoons of melted butter or coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
- 1 and 1/2 cup of fresh berries
- 2 medium ripe bananas, sliced
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (or more!)
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside. In a bowl, toss together the oats, baking powder, and salt until completely combined. In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk and eggs. Then, slowly whisk in the melted butter, vanilla, brown sugar, and maple syrup until sugar has mostly dissolved. Next, pour half of the oat mixture into prepared baking dish and top with half of the berries, one of the sliced bananas, and half of the chocolate chips. Spread the rest of the oats over that layer and top with the milk mixture. Shake the baking dish a little bit to make sure all of the oats are moistened. Top with the rest of the berries, the other banana, and chocolate chips. Bake for about 30 minutes or until the oatmeal is tender and has set. Serve warm or chill and reheat for breakfast! 



No comments:

Post a Comment