Friday, February 17, 2017

Sweet Potato Turkey Shepherd's Pie

    I don't know about you, but I grew up eating shepherd's pie! My mom has been making it since the dawning of time and it fully encompasses everything that I associate with comfort food. I decided to mix it up a bit this week and try something a little different than my childhood favorite. I really liked the way this recipe came out! You can really play with it though! If you like your casserole to be a little bit more moist, you could swap the whole kernel corn for creamed corn. You could even swap the corn entirely for peas! I used mashed sweet potatoes in place of regular mashed potatoes and I replaced ground beef with ground turkey! This recipe is simple and easy, you'll love it!


Sweet Potato Turkey Shepherd's Pie
Ingredients:
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons(or more) of butter
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 pound of lean ground turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (14 ounce) can of corn, drained
    In a large pot, cover the cubed sweet potatoes with water, salt the water and bring to a boil. Cook until tender. Mash the sweet potatoes with the butter, milk, salt, and pepper. Set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a skillet, over medium high heat with the olive oil, brown the ground turkey with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Spray an 8" casserole dish lightly with cooking spray. Layer the cooked turkey with the corn and top with the mashed potatoes. Bake it the oven for about 10 minutes and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment