Monday, April 13, 2015

Sweet Potato, Kale, and Corn Chowder

    Usually, when the thought of chowder comes to mind you're reminded of a chunky potato soup with a base of cream and maybe some seafood. This is a far cry from the typical! I must admit, I'm not a huge fan of kale. It can be tough and tasteless in my opinion. But, in this soup it was so tasty! I bought a huge bag of it and I'll probably be experimenting a bit more this week! Also, I've never cooked with leeks before. I found some massive ones at the grocery store. Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite foods! I've been cooking with them a lot lately! This recipe is part of my meal prep mission, I've portioned it out for the week and it's going to make a great lunch to bring to work! I'm telling you, go make this! It's so good, I couldn't spoon it into my mouth fast enough. I just picked up my bowl and drank it! Not to mention it's pretty good for you!


Sweet Potato, Kale, and Corn Chowder
Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1/2 of a large onion, chopped
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 cups of low sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups of water
- 1 large leek, cleaned and thinly sliced into half moons
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 2 cups of fresh chopped kale, packed
- 2 (15 ounce) cans of whole kernel corn, fresh or frozen works too
    In a large stock pot, over medium heat, saute the onions and coconut oil until the onion has softened. Add in the sweet potato, garlic, salt, pepper, and cinnamon. Saute for a couple of minutes. Then, add in the chicken broth and water. Bring to a boil and simmer until the sweet potatoes are fork tender. Add in the leeks and simmer for another couple of minutes. With an immersion blender, roughly blend the soup until mostly smooth. If you don't own and immersion blender, simply pour into a blender or food processor, blend, and pour back into the pot. Add in the kale and the corn and simmer another couple of minutes, until the kale is tender. Add additional salt and pepper to taste. 




No comments:

Post a Comment