Friday, February 6, 2015

Bridget's Macaroni and Cheese

    When I think of comfort food, macaroni and cheese is the first thing that comes to mind. However, I'm not very fond of the dry mixes that come in boxes. And don't even get me started on the fake sauce that's supposed to pass as cheese! I won't even eat the sauce that comes in a packet. This is my own little twist on my mom's classic. I love this stuff. Macaroni and cheese should always have a crispy crouton- like topping. Then, add ham to it too! What?!?!


Bridget's Macaroni and Cheese
Ingredients:
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 3 tablespoons of flour
- 1 and 1/2 cups milk
- 4 ounces of cream cheese, cubed 
- 1 and 1/2 cup of sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup of shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground white pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) box of pasta, I use cavatappi
- 1 (1 pound) ham steak, fully cooked, diced
- 2 cups of cubed bread, I used french hoagie rolls
- 1/4 cup of seasoned bread crumbs
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cook pasta according to package directions. In a sauce pan, melt the butter and whisk in the flour to form a roux. Next, stir in the milk until the roux has completely dissolved. Then, do the same with the cream cheese. Add in 1 cup of the cheddar cheese and the parmesan. Then, stir in the salt and pepper. Toss the pasta, sauce, and ham together. Pour half of the mixture into a greased 9x13 baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese on top and pour the rest of the pasta mixture on top of cheese. Top with cubed bread and bread crumbs. Bake for about 10- 15 minutes, until the top is golden brown. 


My favorite!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment