Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Burgundy Beef and Vegetable Stew

    A few weeks ago, I attempted a similar recipe in my slow cooker. I wasn't a fan. I did a few things different this time. For instance, instead of using the already cut up stew meat, I bought a whole roast and cubed it up myself. I also used a different kind of red wine this time. One that's made for cooking and not for drinking. Even though the Merlot that I used last time came in handy for drinking after I tasted my creation and wasn't impressed! But, most importantly, I didn't cook it in the slow cooker. It was so bad, I decided to cook it completely different! I must say, I was really impressed with the recipe this time around! It's reallyyyy good!


Burgundy Beef and Vegetable Stew
Ingredients:
- 1 and 1/2 pound beef eye round, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans of beef broth
- 1/2 cup of Burgundy wine
- 1/2 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 1 and 1/2 cup of baby carrots
- 1/2 of a medium sized onion, cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tablespoons of water (a slurry)
- 1 (8 ounce) package of fresh or frozen sugar snap peas 
    In a large pot with a lid, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add the beef and brown evenly, stirring occasionally. Pour off the drippings. Return to heat, season with the thyme, salt, and pepper. Stir in the broth, wine, and garlic. Cover, bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for an hour. Add the carrots and onions, cover and cook for 30 minutes. Stir in the cornstarch mixture, stir and bring to a boil. Stir in the sugar snap peas and cook for a few more minutes, until snap peas are tender. 

No comments:

Post a Comment