Thursday, March 5, 2015

Creamy Chicken Soup

    I must say, I was quite impressed with my kitchen skills yesterday afternoon. First, I googled how to effectively cook juicy chicken breasts. I probably learned one of the most important things I will ever need to know in the kitchen. I passed on the technique HERE. A few days ago, I found a recipe for Chicken Pot Pie Soup. It sounded pretty good! I changed a few things, I wouldn't say it's like chicken pot pie now. It's really, really good though. In fact, I'm probably going to make it for our soup and salad luncheon at church on Sunday! It's between this and my ham and swiss sweet rolls. I don't know yet! But seriously, try this soup and you'll love it! I whipped up some Garlic Parmesan drop biscuits to go with mine!


Creamy Chicken Soup
Ingredients:
- 1 and 1/2 pounds of cooked chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
- 6 tablespoons of butter
- 1 cup of onion, chopped (1 small onion)
- 1 cup of celery, diced (about three stalks)
- 1 cup of carrots, chopped (I used baby carrots)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can of organic chicken broth
- 2 cups of russet potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon of parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon of minced garlic 
- 2 small bay leaves or one large
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can of whole kernel corn
- 2 and 1/2 cups of milk
- 6 tablespoons of all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice
    In a large pot, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat. Once hot, add the onions, celery, and carrots. Saute for 3 minutes. Add in the chicken broth, potatoes, parsley, thyme, rosemary, garlic, bay leaves, salt, and pepper. Cover and let simmer for about 20-30 minutes. Stir occasionally and make sure to push down the vegetables into the broth. Cook until the potatoes are tender. Then, add the chicken and corn.  Next, in a medium sauce pan, melt the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Create a roux by mixing the flour into the melted butter. Let cook and stir constantly for a minute or two. Whisk in the milk slowly. Whisk until there are no lumps. Season with salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium high heat while stirring constantly. Remove from heat and whisk in the whipping cream. Pour the milk mixture into the broth mixture and add the lemon juice. Stir until combined and enjoy! 




No comments:

Post a Comment